Thursday

TUTORIAL: DIY Mise en Dior STUD EARRINGS

Have you ever encountered an idea so genius you wish you were the one to discover it?


That's how I felt when I read this tutorial for Mise en Dior pearl earrings that Geneva created. Every step to this tutorial, I credit to her. Absolutely brilliant. I followed her tutorial to a T.








To start off, you're going to need pearl studs. Or actually, any type of stud earrings you wish. I would recommend ball studs.








I bought the pearls at a random store in Midtown. (Luckily I don't have sensitive ears.)




a ball pair I had laying around from a f21 stud set








You're also going to need plastic beads. I say plastic, otherwise the beads will be too heavy. Resin will work also. I bought assorted sizes and also neon colored beads.

($5.50 bag from BEAD CENTER. The $6.99 is self-chosen beads from the clearance section of FUN2BEAD.)




These are beautiful, but won't work for this tutorial.







You're also going to need little rubber earring backs. I bought a smaller size than usually sold.







Also, the plastic beads need to have holes drilled large enough to fit the earring back.







Instead of a headpin you can use a skewer (Like how Geneva did).




 Remember to have a window open, e6000 is no joke.







Press the earring back into the bead.


The glue will get messy.






How mind-numbingly simple. I don't know how long I have stared at Dior's earrings trying to figure out how to DIY it, and here the answer was, so easy. Man.



a pop of neon!



Of course, we gotta get down with the pearl originals.



different sizes of studs






I bought humongous pearls. No regrets.








Here are different sizes of tan balls. I love them all. This color is a lot more subtle.




Some in progress pictures

I couldn't use these pastel beads because the holes were too small
 




  • Really fun pop of color
  • I like neon in small doses
  • Looks great with hair down OR up
  • Super freaking cheap to make
  • You can potentially use any bead as long as the hole is big enough
  • THINK OF ALL THE POSSIBILITIES
  • Pearls really do look good with pretty much any color
  • Minus the white... to me at least
  • As long as you have studs and glue, just need the backs and the beads
  • Sometimes you will already have backs laying around from store-bought stud sets
  • Takes barely a minute to make each pair
  • Of course, the bigger the back bead, the more you can see from the front
  • I have freakishly large lobes though...




 



One downside: I have a second ear piercing on my lobes, and there is no way another stud will fit. I'm thinking I'll just wear these with a tiny gold hoop in the second piercing? Or of course, leave it bare.






Thanks for reading!

30 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is such a cool tutorial! Now I have to track down some beads to try this x

    www.whimsicalprocrastination.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some and try it out!

      Delete
  2. Will you be selling them? You should! I would so buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure yet (: Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
    2. If you do think of selling (and I am loving the Taupe pair, email me @ karenang@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic tutorial! I love when making something so pretty is EASY :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW it's SO easy and gorgeous. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Awesome idea! I like the peal and blue ones...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't take any of the credit though, it all goes to Geneva. Thanks for your love though!

      Delete
  5. Do you have to use that e6000 or can you use hot glue? ~ Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I haven't tried it with hot glue, but I think it should work great!

      Delete
  6. I tried this out recently, and the results were great! I love wearing these earrings. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you made them!!! I LOVE THEM TOO <3

      Delete
  7. Hi there! Great tutorial!...do you buy your beads and supplies in NYC? if so, do you mind listing the stores that you got the pearl beads and backings at?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi (: Yes I did. I bought the pearls in the downstairs discount section of Fun2Bead. You can fill a small baggie with plastic beads for 6.99 (STUFF IT FULL!) and the backings at Bead Center.

      Delete
  8. Great! Thanks for the tuto... I thought about an other way to do it, we'll see if I succeed!

    Fanny
    tvotvp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! Thanks for the tuto... I thought about an other way to do it, we'll see if I succeed!

    Fanny
    tvotvp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about the hole on the other side? It will be visible

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tutorial,but if you do want a pair that doesn't have a hole visible, they sell knock offs on Amazon that look pretty darn close, and with a $11 price tag that isn't too shabby! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWQI854/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00HWQI854&linkCode=as2&tag=warfieldfamil-20

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorei o diy! Vou fazer já. Obrigada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. there are a bunch of premade ones for cheap at www.beadyboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. theres a site that sells them premade for cheap @ www.beadyboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found these hand made tribal earrings with pretty color faux pearls and no holes on the other ends, very cheap ( about $17/pair plus S&H) on etsy.com. Store name is jewelsplus8

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice blog. Thanks for sharing this post with us. Stud earrings by karatcraft with latest designs. http://www.karatcraft.in/earrings/stud-earrings

    ReplyDelete
  17. Honestly I love them more than Dior's ones :D do you sell them? Is it possibile to use some metallic element instead of the plastic one? thank you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. will the back bead not have 2 holes. one on each end. if the stud is in the one end. what is closing the other end??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...